Auto Storage in Lawton, Oklahoma Made Easy: How to do it Right
Self-storage is great for all sorts of things, from electronics to home crafting supplies to unused furniture. But what a lot of people may not realize is that self-storage can also be a good solution for storing vehicles. With auto storage in Lawton, you can keep your vehicles secure and out-of-the-way so they’re ready when you need them, whether it’s that classic car you’ve been tinkering with, a motorcycle that’s your pride and joy, or a boat or RV that you only use for part of the season. As with any kind of storage, however, there are better and worse ways to store your car or other vehicle, so here’s a quick guide to how to do it right:
- Do a tune-up: Before you put a vehicle into storage, make sure that it’ll be ready to roll when it’s time for you to get it back on the road. Change the oil and the oil filter, make sure the coolant levels are where they should be, and inflate the tires to the proper pressure.
- Fill ‘er up: Condensation in fuel tanks can be a problem in vehicles that are stored for extended periods of time, so before your car goes into storage, fill the tank with gas to prevent water from accumulating. Premium gas is recommended, since gas with ethanol can release water when stored for long periods. It might also be worth your time to add in a gasoline stabilizer.
- Save your battery: A battery maintainer is a kind of “smart” battery charger that only activates from time to time. It can be used on your car battery if you’re planning to store it for a few months, in order to help preserve battery life.
- Save your windshield: Remove wiper blades—or cover them in plastic wrap—in order to prevent the rubber on the blades from sticking to the windshield over time. For similar reasons, don’t engage the parking brake while your car is in storage, or the brake pads can stick to the rotors. Place chocks under the tires to prevent the car from rolling, instead.
- Crack a window: If you’re storing a vehicle indoors, open a window just wide enough to allow air circulation, but not enough that small animals can get into the car.
- Leave yourself a note: Leave yourself a note somewhere in the car where it’ll be easy to find when you get ready to take the car out of storage, reminding yourself of anything that you need to do before the car is ready to get back on the road, like re-connecting the battery or getting the windshield wiper blades out of the trunk.
- Get insured: As with any valuable items, getting insurance that covers your vehicles while they’re in storage is a good idea. With auto storage in Lawton from Storage ‘R’ Us, the safety and security of your vehicles are our top priority, but even with all of our security measures, we can’t always protect against things like natural disasters, so having insurance to cover you if the worst should happen is just good sense.
Auto storage in Lawton, Oklahoma can be a home away from home for your most treasured automobiles, from antique cars to custom hotrods to motorcycles, boats, and more. Whatever your storage needs, we can help you find the storage solution that’s perfect for you and your budget, right here at Storage ‘R’ Us.