Renting a self-storage unit seems pretty simple, but there’s actually a lot of thought that should go into it before you choose the self-storage unit that’s right for you. A lot that can go wrong if you don’t think ahead! If you’re renting a storage unit for the first time, if you’ve had bad experiences in the past, or even if you’re just planning to upgrade or downgrade an existing unit for one that’s a different size or has different amenities, there are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- Choose the Right Unit for You: While self-storage units may seem like just long concrete and metal boxes when you’re driving by, there are actually a lot of options available to the savvy self-storage shopper. As with most things, it doesn’t pay to just get the first thing that crosses your path. Do some homework into what’s available in your area, and what your self-storage needs will be.
- Size Matters: Self-storage units come in a variety of sizes, whether we’re talking about climate-controlled self-storage or the more “standard” kind. Knowing what size unit you’ll need depends on what you’re going to be storing, how good you are at packing, and how often you’ll be accessing your stuff. Storage ‘R’ Us offers a free and easy-to-use self-storage calculator that can help you get an idea of how much space you’ll need.
- To Climate-Control or Not to Climate Control: We mentioned climate-controlled self-storage in Moore Oklahoma already, and chances are if you’ve driven by very many self-storage facilities you’ve seen the signs advertising climate-controlled self-storage. So you may be asking yourself if that’s something you need? Basically, climate-controlled self-storage is for protecting items that can be damaged by extremes of heat or cold, as well as humidity and other environmental factors. This can include anything from antiques to paperwork, and from LPs to electronics. If you’re concerned about the effect environmental conditions may have on your stuff, ask one of our storage specialists if climate-controlled self-storage is right for you.
- Packing is Important: Good packing not only determines how much of your storage space your stuff will take up, but it also helps prevent your belongings from becoming damaged, and makes it easier to get to what you need, when you need it. For packing advice, check out some of our self-storage tips, and for packing materials, you can stop by the storefront of any of our friendly offices, where we sell boxes and other packing supplies.
- Use Your Resources: No matter how well you plan your move into a self-storage unit—whether it’s your first unit or your fiftieth, and whether it’s climate-controlled self-storage or not—you’re going to forget something, or run into a snag that you couldn’t foresee. Don’t be shy about asking our highly-trained self-storage specialists for help or advice. And we always offer free use of moving equipment on-site, to help make moving into or out of your self-storage unit a breeze.
In the end, choosing the right self-storage unit for you—from boat and RV storage to climate-controlled self-storage in Moore Oklahoma to whatever else you may need—takes a little thought and preparation, but it pays off big in the long run, not only in saved costs, but also in efficiency, ease of use, and peace of mind.