Pack Like a Pro for Self Storage near Fort Sill
Military families stationed near Fort Sill are always looking for self storage in Lawton and the surrounding communities, and we’re always happy to help them find a place to store their stuff and to offer new ways to store it more safely and efficiently!
Whether you’re a military family taking advantage of self storage near Fort Sill during a deployment or any other family in the area just looking to get a little extra space at home, we have some great tips to help you pack like a pro.
First off, you’re always going to be in better self storage shape if you plan ahead. That means making a general plan about what’s going to go where in your storage unit before you start bringing it in or even before you start packing it up! If you need help visualizing your storage space, our handy self storage calculator can give you an idea of how much room you’ll actually need for all your stuff.
- If you’re going to be storing a lot of cardboard boxes, it’s always a good idea to put raised pallets under them. Keeping boxes up off the floor makes them easier to get into and helps to protect the boxes and their contents.
- Speaking of protection, it’s a good idea to always keep in mind how you’re going to defend your items against dust, dirt, and moisture.
- Using plastic bags inside your cardboard boxes can help add another layer of moisture protection.
- If you’re storing items that may be damaged by the weather, a climate controlled storage unit is probably your best bet.
- While we just said to use plastic bags inside boxes, don’t use plastic bags without boxes. Boxes are sturdier and provide structure that makes them easier to stack, which means they’ll ultimately take up less space.
- Be sure you fill your boxes to capacity. A full box is stronger than a partially full one, which may collapse over time. While you want them to be full, however, don’t pack your boxes too heavy.
- If you have access to them, clear, stackable, airtight plastic boxes are even sturdier and offer better protection than cardboard.
- However you store your items, always use high-quality packing supplies that are designed for the job at hand, not boxes you already have lying around.
- Hang clothing items in wardrobe boxes to help them retain their shape.
- Vacuum-sealed bags can help keep draperies, bedding, and other linens safe while they’re being stored.
- Leave nothing out. Storage ‘R’ Us has boxes of all sizes for all kinds of items, from lampshades to picture frames.
- Stacked items aren’t always as easy to get to, so if you have items that you want to access regularly, use shelving inside your storage unit to help maximize space and accessibility.
- Keep seasonal items and items that you use frequently near the front of your storage unit so they’re easy to reach.
- Label and number boxes so that you can find what you’re looking for without a lot of fuss. Make sure that labels are on the top and sides of the box. Create a checklist or map of what’s in your storage unit and keep a copy inside the unit, so you can find things when you’re looking for them.
Storage ‘R’ Us has eight convenient locations across southern Oklahoma, with three in Lawton for military self storage near Fort Sill, and we’re always happy to serve those who serve our country, as well as their families, or anyone who is looking for safe, affordable self storage!