Planning A Move In The New Year? Here’s How To Prepare!
Every year around 14% of the population moves, whether it’s across the country or just across town. That’s a lot of people relocating every year, and every one of them has a lot of stuff to pack, move, and find a place for in their new home. If 2017 is your year to move, Storage ‘R’ Us self-storage in Oklahoma has some tips to help make your move go as smoothly as possible:
- Give yourself plenty of time to plan and prepare. This isn’t always an option—sometimes things change and you have to relocate in a hurry—but if you have the luxury of planning, it’ll make your move a whole lot easier.
- Get rid of anything and everything you don’t want to take with you to your new place. Moving is a great time to purge your wardrobe of clothes you no longer wear, to finally throw out all those old keys you’ve been keeping because you don’t remember what they go to, or to thin out your collection of whatever you happen collect. If you have items that you’ll no longer need, you can make some extra money by hosting a garage sale, or donate them to charity.
- Make sure you’ve got the right size vehicles. You’ll want to move everything in the fewest possible trips, even if you’re just moving down the street. Nobody likes to drive back and forth, and it’s inefficient to keep loading a small car over and over again. (Need a truck? Storage ‘R’ Us is also Oklahoma’s largest PENSKE truck rental representative!)
- Get your friends and family to help you move, so that there are plenty of hands to carry everything. And of course, don’t forget to buy pizza for everyone who chips in! If you have smaller kids, you can give them special jobs on moving day to keep them occupied and let them lend a hand.
- Don’t forget to change your address! And while you’re at it, notify all utility companies, and make sure that your water, gas, and electricity are all turned on at the new place before you move in.
- Moving is plenty of work without having to worry about cleaning up afterward, so maybe think about hiring a cleaning service to handle cleanup at the old place (or the new one, if need be) and give yourself a break after all the packing and carrying.
Whether you’re moving a few blocks or from across the country, self-storage in Oklahoma can be a great resource for your 2017 move! You can stage things in your self-storage unit while you get them ready, allowing you to do the packing in stages, or you can store stuff that is going to be donated or go into a garage sale until it’s ready to go. And of course, once you’re moved into your new home, you can use self-storage in Oklahoma for anything that doesn’t fit in the new house! Plus, at Storage ‘R’ Us we’ve got everything you need to help you pack for the move, from boxes and tape to paper and packing materials.