Storing Your RV Safely: Tips and RV Monitoring Systems
Many of us love to spend the summer touring the highways and byways of this great country in our RVs. The sun is shining, and we’re out seeing incredible sights, having unforgettable experiences, and making memories out of every mile. Unfortunately, our summer adventures are about to come to an end. Autumn officially arrives around the third week of September. With kids going back to school and the nice weather bidding us adieu, it’s time for us to begin preparations to put our RVs, boats, and other recreational vehicles back into Oklahoma storage.
Sure, some of us may hang onto the last fleeting days of summer and extend the trip a bit. Autumn is a great time to watch the leaves change colors in the Smoky Mountains, Yellowstone National Park, or Acadia National Park in Maine. But sooner or later, the road trip comes to an end. If you’re ready to head home for the winter months, we have some tips to help store your RV safely as well as some information about a new RV monitoring system that can help you keep an eye on your RV even while it’s in self storage in Oklahoma throughout the autumn and winter.
First, Some Tips on How to Prepare Your RV For Storage!
- Consult your owner’s manual. Every RV comes with one, and it’ll give you specific instructions on how to prepare your particular model for long-term storage.
- Before your RV goes into Oklahoma storage, be sure to remove any valuables such as jewelry, electronics, personal items, and papers. Naturally, we keep an eye on the premises, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- While you’re at it, remove any food, beverages, and anything that has an expiration date. Leaving it there will make your RV smell less than fresh when you come back, and it may attract bugs or other pests while your RV is sitting in storage.
- Speaking of keeping your RV smelling fresh, you should also change out the bedclothes, linens, and so on. Give them a good wash and make sure they’re fresh when you get ready to go next summer!
- You’ll need to do some basic maintenance tasks as well. Empty your fresh water and wastewater tanks at a dump station, and make sure that they’re clean before you put your RV into storage. You’ll also want to remove your propane tank as a safety precaution.
- It’s a good idea to fill up your gas tank before you store any vehicle for a long period of time, and you may also want to add a fuel stabilizer. Check your owner’s manual first to see what it recommends.
- Check all of your door and window seals. If you have an RV cover, wrap it over the exterior of the RV once you’ve placed it in a secure Oklahoma self storage facility such as Storage ‘R’ Us.
Consider an RV Monitoring System.
Naturally, at Storage ‘R’ Us, we do everything in our power to keep our clients’ belongings as safe as we can. That includes having gated and walled perimeters, 24/7 monitoring, and much more. At the same time, anything that you care enough about to put into self storage in Oklahoma is also important enough to check in on from time to time. This goes for an RV or anything else that you keep in storage, from furniture to paperwork, clothing to electronics. It may also be worthwhile to invest in some extra insurance on any stored items.
Of course, it’s not always feasible to stop by as regularly as you might like, especially during the winter months. That’s where comprehensive RV monitoring systems such as RV Whisper come into play. You can connect one of these systems to your vehicle to monitor just about anything you can imagine. This wireless monitoring system is simple to install, was designed with RVs in mind, and lets you keep tabs on your RV from your smart phone or mobile device. You can monitor just about everything:
- Battery current sensors
- Door and motion sensors
- Propane level sensors
- Temperature and humidity sensors
- Tire pressure sensors
- Water leak sensors
- Water tank level sensors
As you can imagine, all of this is handy even when your RV isn’t in storage. When it is, RV Whisper can send out emails and text alerts and let you check in with your RV to your heart’s content. When you’re out on the road, you can use it to keep tabs on pets or simply keep an eye on your RV’s many systems and functions. When your RV is in storage, you’ll get peace of mind knowing what’s up with it day and night. When summer comes back around, it’ll be ready and waiting for you to hit the road once more!
When it comes to RV storage, we’ve got you covered at Storage ‘R’ Us—literally! With covered or uncovered storage for RVs at a number of our convenient locations in Lawton, Duncan, Moore, Newcastle, and Norman, Oklahoma, we’ve got the perfect home away from home for your RV. Sure, uncovered RV storage may not be much more than a gravel lot, but it’s gated and secure, with all the tools that we bring to bear to help keep your vehicle safe. Covered storage offers more amenities, including protection against the elements and access to 10-amp electrical service for charging, in many cases. Make sure to call us in advance for updates on availability!
Whether you just bought your first RV or you’re a seasoned adventurer with many summers under your belt, when it’s time to put that joyride into mothballs for the winter, call Storage ‘R’ Us self storage in Oklahoma, or come visit us at one of our convenient locations throughout the state. We’ve got the storage solutions for whatever you want to store, and we’re always happy to help!