Top EIGHT Security Tips for Your Stored Stuff
Security has been an important part of self storage for as long as the industry has been around. After all, who would want to store their stuff if they didn’t know that it would be safely waiting for them when they needed it again?
The best self storage facilities are always looking for ways to increase security and ensure that customers can expect their belongings to be safe and sound. Here at Storage ‘R’ Us, we’re big believers in security, and we’ve recently added a new security option for our renters in the form of new self storage smart units. But there are also lots of things that you can do to help keep your items safe in self storage!
- Invest in a Good Quality Padlock. Most Oklahoma self storage facilities let you choose the lock for your unit’s door. Don’t just grab the cheapest lock available. Look for something solid and reliable that will stand up against bolt cutters.
- Keep a Record of What You Have in Storage. Not only is this a good security measure, it makes your storage unit a lot more useful! Make a list of everything that you have in storage. Know where it’s located within your unit. Mark boxes well. Some renters find it helpful to use apps for tracking what’s in boxes or even creating scannable barcodes, while others make maps of their unit’s contents.
- Ask About Video Surveillance. The best self storage facilities should offer 24/7 video surveillance of the premises. This does more than keep an eye on the area; the presence of cameras can even deter would-be thieves. Plus, if a crime is committed, video surveillance makes it easy to review footage after the fact.
- Good Lighting is Essential. Think about it: If you want to get into your storage unit at night, which is especially likely during the cold winter months when it gets dark early, you’ll want plenty of bright light around the facility. What’s more, good lighting deters thieves by making everything visible.
- Gated Access Prevents Unauthorized Access. You want to be able to get to your stuff any time, day or night. But you don’t want unauthorized people wandering around the place. The solution is gated access, which grants entry to tenants and keeps out everyone else when the facility isn’t open.
- On-Site Management Keeps an Eye Out. Good management is worth a lot. They answer questions, provide expertise, and help you out when you’re on-site. But they also help to keep an eye on your stuff when you’re not around. Before you choose a self storage unit, chat with the managers at your facility, learn when they’re on-site, and find facilities where you feel comfortable.
- Get Storage Insurance. No matter how well-protected your stuff is, there are events that no amount of security can prevent. In the event of a natural disaster, having your stuff insured can help keep you protected, even if your belongings are lost.
- Ask About Smart Units. “Smart units” are the latest in self storage security technology, providing an additional level of assurance. A “smart unit” has a monitor that sends a text alert to your phone when it detects motion inside your unit. We’ve recently rolled out “smart units” at several of our self storage locations in Lawton, Duncan, Moore, and Newcastle, with other locations on the way!
At Storage ‘R’ Us, the safety and security of your stored belongings is one of our top priorities, and we offer a range of security features to help give you peace of mind. Visit one of our Oklahoma self storage locations in Lawton, Duncan, Moore, Chickasha, Newcastle, or Norman today and ask about security, storage insurance, or “smart units,” or reserve your self storage unit online.