10 Things to Know Before Moving to Moore, Oklahoma
Whether it’s college kids moving back home, people moving for work or family, or the usual moves that come with military service, a lot of people move in the summertime. If you’re moving to Moore, Oklahoma this summer, whether it’s into a temporary apartment or into your forever home, here are 10 things to know before you arrive:
- We’re a Community! Moore is big enough to boast the amenities that you want, but small enough to feel like your home town. The City of Moore recently partnered with Nextdoor, a free and private social network for neighborhoods. The partnership will help build upon Moore’s community-centric approach, and help residents build better, safer neighborhoods.
- A Celebration in the Heartland! Every 4th of July, come by our outdoor festival, try some fair food, let your kids play in the bounce houses or watch them express their creativity in the children’s art tent, enjoy live music, or check out the open car, truck, and motorcycle show. The whole shebang ends with a spectacular fireworks display at dusk on the 4th!
- Plenty of Parks! The City of Moore is home to more than 240 acres of park grounds, spread across a dozen city parks. We’re especially proud of our Veterans Memorial Park, which features the Soldiers’ Memorial with carvings done by Oklahoma woodcarving artist Clayton Coss from four large trees that once stood in the park. When the trees died, rather than just cutting them down, it was decided to turn them into a lasting memorial for our soldiers.
- Visit Old Town! Though downtown has changed a lot since Moore was founded as part of the land rush of 1889, we’ve tried to preserve some of our history in Old Town, including the Moore Old School, which was once home to all the grades of public school in Moore, and now houses meeting space and offices for several local businesses.
- Shop Moore! Don’t worry shopaholics, Moore has plenty of options to keep you covered, especially if you like to buy local. Check out the Showplace Market, a one-of-a-kind shopping experience featuring more than 100 unique vendors from Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas. Or, you can visit the Old Town Farmers Market every Thursday evening and Saturday morning throughout the summer for fresh, local produce, meats, and other fun items!
- Enjoy the great outdoors! There are lots of ways to enjoy the great outdoors around Moore, including the nearby Western Cedar Hunting Preserve, offering guided hunting of quail, deer, pheasant, and turkey, to name a few. If fishing is more your style, visit Stanley Draper Lake or check out Lloyd Jennings Striper Guide Service for guided fishing trips!
- Theatres, Concerts, and More! Located right off I-35, the Moore Warren Theatre is the ultimate movie-going experience, complete with the largest digital IMAX screen in the world! For live theatre and a delicious homemade dinner, check out the Yellow Rose Dinner Theatre. Moore’s also home to a variety of concerts, including a Summer Nights Music in the Park series Friday nights throughout the summer. You can also catch family-friendly movies in the park, as well as Storytime at Parmele Park, sponsored by the Moore Public Library.
- Tee Off! No tour of Moore’s offerings would be complete without a quick mention of our local golf courses. Lakeside Golf Course is a 9-hole course that has been in Moore since 1959, while Broadmoore Golf Course, which was designed by Duffy Martin and opened in 1962, offers 18 holes, a driving range, and golf lessons.
- Dining! From fast food to fine dining, home-cooking to contemporary fusion, and everything in-between, Moore offers a wide range of dining options to please even the most refined of taste buds. Whatever you’re hungry for, you can get it in Moore!
- Storage ‘R’ Us! Yeah, perhaps we’re a bit guilty of blowing our own horn, but if you’re thinking of moving to Moore, there’s no better place to house your belongings, either until you can get moved in, or well after, than Storage ‘R’ Us! We’re a family-owned business that got our start in nearby Lawton, and we’re proud to provide the best in climate-controlled self-storage to all our neighbors in Moore! We love our city, and want you to love it, too, so stop on by to visit, and we’ll do whatever we can to help.
Whether your stay in Moore is going to be a long one or a short one, we want to make sure that it’s a good one, so come to Storage ‘R’ Us for climate-controlled self-storage in Moore, Oklahoma today!