Holidays Made Easy: A Guide to Storing Your Holiday Essentials
Even though Halloween is just around the corner, stores across Oklahoma are already stocking their aisles with Thanksgiving and Christmas décor. This hurried transition as stores compete to be “first to market” reminds us that the holiday season is already in full swing. This festive period between Halloween and New Year’s Day is always busy and fun, but it can also be a little overwhelming. With all the decorations going up and coming down and visitors arriving from out of town, your home can feel pretty packed. While it may be tough to find space for everything, there’s an easy solution: Oklahoma self storage from Storage ‘R’ Us. With a little help from your friendly neighborhood self storage facility, you’ll be able to enjoy the holidays without all the mess and clutter. Here’s how self storage in Oklahoma can help you with every one of the big holidays coming up!
The spookiest time of year doesn’t have to be too scary when it comes to clutter. Here are a few of the things you can keep safely out of the way in your storage unit:
- Costumes from Previous Years. Storing costumes can be a lifesaver. Not only can they be reused, repurposed, or handed down to younger kiddos, but they may often hold sentimental value as cherished keepsakes.
- Spooky Decorations. From those massive yard inflatables to those 12-foot skeletons, from lighting to foam jack-o’-lanterns, décor items can take up space around Halloween. Fortunately, many of these can be safely and securely stored in your self storage unit during the off-season, ensuring that they’re clean and ready to use for next year’s at-home spookfest.
- Seasonal Craft Supplies. Doing some seasonal crafting is a great way for families to spend quality time together, but all that crafting requires supplies. Whether you’re using something as simple as a pumpkin carving kit or as complicated as the gear for making homemade decorations, you can put all of those supplies into self storage when you’re done with them.
Thanksgiving is a time when families often come together and enjoy big, sumptuous meals around the dinner table. Of course, if you’re hosting all those guests, you’re going to need a lot of extra space. Self storage to the rescue!
- Dinnerware. Certain pieces of dinnerware only come out on special occasions. These special items, such as your large serving dishes or your best plates and silverware, need somewhere to stay when they’re not in use, and self storage is the perfect place for them.
- Decorative Elements. Sure, Thanksgiving isn’t as known for its decorations as Halloween or Christmas, but most families still do a little something to dress up the place before company comes. Whether you’re decorating with heirloom candle holders, making table centerpieces made up of fall foliage, or breaking out your very best tablecloths, all those items need special care.
- Furniture for Gatherings. When it’s time to sit down to Thanksgiving dinner, there will likely be a lot more people around the table than usual. That means you’ll need extra chairs and maybe even extra tables or a leaf that extends the table you already have. All these things take up space when they aren’t in use, so why not keep them out of the way in your Oklahoma self storage unit?
- Cooking and Baking Supplies. Of course, before you sit down to enjoy that big Thanksgiving meal, someone has to make it. If that someone is you, you’ll probably be breaking out some specialty bakeware, pots, pans, and utensils for preparing an extra big meal. But where do you put them when you’re done? We’ve got you covered.
For many households in Oklahoma, Christmas is the biggest celebration of the year. This may mean celebrating with folks who come in from out of town, or it may mean only your closest family is gathering around the Christmas tree. In either case, Oklahoma self storage can help you find a little extra space in the homestead by storing items like these:
- Tree and Decorations. The centerpiece of any Christmas is a big, beautiful Christmas tree. Some folks go for live trees every year, while others break out artificial trees that can be bulky and cumbersome to store. In either event, you’ll also need stuff like tree stands, tree skirts, ornaments, lights, and so on. All of that can go into self storage when it’s not in use.
- Other Decorations and Displays. Besides trees and the trimmings that go on them, most folks also deck the halls with a lot more décor around Christmastime, from outdoor inflatables and elaborate lighting displays to simple door wreaths and stockings. All of these items are easily damaged if they aren’t stored properly. Many families also have nativity sets, Advent calendars, or miniature Christmas villages that are heirlooms passed down through the generations, and they’re often fragile.
- Presents, Of Course. Presents go under the tree on Christmas morning, but where do they go the rest of the time? If your kids always seem to find their presents no matter how well you hide them, why not stick them in a self storage unit until the big day?
NEW YEAR’S EVE:
As one year draws to a close and a new one begins, we all gather to ring in the new and see off the old. New Year’s Eve is a time of parties and celebrations, and these come with their own accessories that can be kept out of the way in Oklahoma self storage.
- Festive Decorations. New Year’s Eve isn’t as décor-intensive as Christmas or Halloween, but we still put up decorations to help welcome in the New Year, including banners and balloons.
- Specialized Glassware and Serving Dishes. A party just isn’t a party without good things to eat and drink, and New Year’s Eve is famous for being celebrated with a toast. Drinks and hors d’oeuvres are often served from some specialized dishes and glasses, such as champagne flutes and punch bowls, and they’re often particularly fragile. Keep them in storage until next New Year’s Eve to keep them safe.
- Noisemakers and Party Favors. We usually ring in the new year with a lot of noise, which means we need plenty of confetti poppers or noisemakers. If you’re using these or any other party supplies, you can also keep them out of the way until it’s time for the big night with a little help from Storage ‘R’ Us.
Those are just a few of the ways that Oklahoma self storage can help you enjoy the holiday season and be ready for the next one! Here are a few quick storage tips and tricks that will help you get the most out of your self storage unit, too:
- Use clear plastic bins so that you can easily see and identify contents without opening them.
- Label everything and keep a checklist of what’s in each box, even when you are using those clear plastic bins. It helps you to find what you’re looking for, especially if you’re in a rush.
- Protect fragile items with bubble wrap, newspapers, or specialized storage boxes. For some items, you might also want to consider climate-controlled self storage.
Whatever you’re storing this holiday season, Storage ‘R’ Us has the solution you need and the expertise to help you get the best from your Oklahoma self storage units. Come on down to one of our convenient locations today and let us help you get started!