How to Prepare Your Boat or RV for Self Storage in Oklahoma
The summer is quickly coming to an end here in Oklahoma, and that means many boating and fishing enthusiasts are planning their last outings for the season. Soon enough, the weather is going to turn cold and it’ll be time to pull the boat in from the water. At the same time, many who enjoy summer road trips and other adventures in the family RV are also looking at the end of the road-trip season. Before the weather turns nasty, boaters and RV owners are going to be looking for an RV and boat storage solution that’s affordable and secure. And here at Storage ‘R’ Us in Moore, Duncan, and Lawton, we have boat and RV storage and vehicle parking available.
Nobody likes to start the boating or traveling season with a damp, stinky, dirty boat or RV. So, the following are a few general tips on how to prepare your boat or RV for winter storage.
General Tips on How to Prepare Your Boat for Storage:
- First, consult your boat owners manual for in-depth tips on how to prepare your specific model of boat for winter or long-term storage.
- You’ll want to keep your boat off the ground, so make use of jack stands, blocks, or a trailer to keep it properly supported while out of the water.
- Give it a thorough cleaning to remove all the gunk, grime, and barnacles.
- For the motor, you can add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank to prevent rust, corrosion, and freezing (again, read your owner’s manual first).
- You can further protect the engine by coating the cylinders, plugs, and manifold with engine fogger.
- You may also want to flush the coolant system and add antifreeze.
- Disconnect the battery and any related electronics for storage elsewhere in a warm, dry place.
- Store your boat at a self storage facility such as Storage ‘R’ Us in Oklahoma.
- Lastly, if you have a boat cover, wrap the boat exterior and secure the cover with ropes or bungee cords.
General Tips on How to Prepare Your RV for Storage:
- First, consult your RV owners manual for in-depth tips on how to prepare your specific model for winter or long-term storage.
- Remove all valuables, personal items, and electronics from your RV.
- Remove all the food and beverage items from your RV (no need to attract bugs and pests).
- Remove all the bedclothes, linens, and any personal clothing items from drawers and closets. In addition, remove all bath towels, wash cloths, and hand towels.
- Empty your fresh water and waste water tanks at a dump station and clean out the inside.
- Remove your propane tank.
- Fill your gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer (again, read your owner’s manual first).
- Check to make sure that all of your window and door seals are in good condition.
- Store your RV at a self storage facility such as Storage ‘R’ Us in Oklahoma.
- If you have an RV cover, wrap the exterior of the RV and secure the cover with ropes or bungee cords.
For RV storage or boat storage in Oklahoma, visit Storage ‘R’ Us. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9am to 6pm. The offices are also open on Saturday from 9am to 3pm. And, our East Gore location in Lawton is open Sundays from 1pm to 5pm. So, stop by Storage ‘R’ Us today, and see what a modern, secure self storage facility can do for your boat or RV storage needs!
No comments have been posted yet.